By Cody Carson
Fall is here and winter is coming. But there is plenty to do in sports for all ages across numerous venues in Shores & Islands Ohio. So here are our top sporting events that will cap off 2022!
2. Ohio Athletic Committee (OAC) State Football Championships – Gridiron excitement comes to the turf of Sports Force Parks with the annual Ohio Athletic Committee (OAC) State Football Championships on November 5-6. The Sports Force Parks team took on the task of converting seven soccer fields to be football ready! Over 40 middle school teams from across Ohio will look to take a State Title back to their hometowns while playing in this weekend tournament in Sandusky!
3. North Coast Cheer & Dance Championships – Cedar Point Sports Center is preparing for their peak season throughout the winter months with four straight weeks of action. The North Coast Cheer and Dance Championship brings competitive cheerleading to the indoor venue on November 20.
4. Previews at the Point – On Friday, November 26, the Preview at the Point Basketball Series will take place on Friday, November 26, while the Preview at the Point Volleyball will take place the following weekend on December 3-4. The series will feature youth teams throughout Northern Ohio and Southern Michigan. The tournament is open for boys and girls team in 4-6 grades.
5. FAAST Holiday Classic at the Point – FAAST Sports will host a one-day and two-day basketball tournament at the Cedar Point Sports Center on December 10-11. The tournament is open for boys and girls team in grades 3-8. Each team will play a minimum of 3 to 4 games and all players will receive a free ticket to Cedar Point Amusement Park!
6. OAC Future Talent Wrestling Tournament – Ohio Athletic Committee (OAC) brings in another great youth sports event but this time to the indoor venue with the Grade School Duals on December 17. This wrestling tournament will attract some of the strongest wrestling programs in the region at this age.
7. Jingle Bell Jam – Cedar Point Sports Center will finish off 2022 by hosting the Jingle Bell Jam on December 27-30, where both boys & girls high school basketball programs from a 90-mile radius will compete in this unique event that can only be found in Shores & Islands Ohio!
8. Shoreline Splash Fishing Tournament – It might be cooler out on Lake Erie, but the fishing is still hot. The Shoreline Splash Tournament in Sandusky will host continuous daily weigh-ins through November 27. No matter where you cast your line, you are not far from a great catch! All anglers are encouraged to stop by one of the Shores & Islands Ohio Welcome Centers to grab a fishing guide filled with information on bait shops, boat launches and more.
9. Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) Monthly Matches – continues its Monthly Matches at Camp Perry in Port Clinton through the winter months. As it gets cooler outside, CMP is welcoming competitors each month at their indoor air gun ranges. A full lineup for the CMP Monthly Matches, featuring a series of air rifle and air pistol events, is scheduled. The Monthly Matches are open to the public and designed for all ages and experience levels.
10. Battle of Lake Erie Axe Throwing Tournament – Noble Axes in Sandusky is set to host the 2nd annual Battle of Lake Erie Axe Throwing Tournament! The tournament holds an amateur and professional division from November 18-20 where throwers will compete for various prizes across four age groups. The Battle of Lake Erie was designed and organized to be an axe throwing event for everyone, not just the professionals.
The fun doesn’t stop when the weather changes at Shores & Islands Ohio, so head to our Sporting Events page to see everything that’s going on across the destination! Everyone gets to play at America’s Sports & Family Fun Capital!